In 1891, the Sisters of the Precious Blood took over care for St. Joseph Orphanage [later St. Joseph Home for Children] in Dayton, Ohio. It had been founded by the Society of St. Joseph, a group of Catholic laymen, to care for children whose parents had died during a cholera epidemic in 1849. For over 75 years the Sisters cared for the children at St. Joseph. In 1967, the Congregation was no longer able to staff the Home, and the Sisters of St. Francis of Pittsburgh assumed responsibility. In 1971, St. Joseph Home for Children closed. In 2006, the Glen at St. Joseph, a facility that offers support to single mothers and their children, opened on the same property as the original St. Joseph Home for Children. Pictured is St. Joseph Orphanage, ca. 1900.