The first Sisters to minister in Chile left the United States on December 28, 1956 from New York Harbor on the Santa Margarita for Santiago. These Sisters were Mary John Brandewie, Grace [Mary Geneva] Rottner, Ignatius Lichtle, and Mary Amalia Monnin; Mother Aquinas Stadtherr (the Congregation’s president at the time) accompanied them for their first trip. They arrived in Santiago 18 days later on January 15, 1957.
Since 1957, the Sisters of the Precious Blood have remained in Chile. They experienced teaching at St. Gaspar School in Santiago; the military coup led by General Augusto Pinochet in the 1970s; and taking on pastoral and evangelization ministries with people who had no access to a priest. Today, two native Chilean Sisters minister in Santiago, working with the people in the Parish of St. Isabel of Hungary.